SHE MADE CHARLIE ROSE GIGGLE



"Although PBS's Charlie Rose is frequently so engaged in his interviews that he consumes more airtime than his guests do, it isn't often that he's reduced to an hour of schoolboy giggles, capped off by proclaiming, "I'm mad for you!" The woman who makes Charlie's knees shake? Anne Bancroft, the thinking man's fantasy, and the kind of woman thinking women want to be. Bancroft is on fire with ideas, brimming with passions, supremely confident and self-aware, without taking herself too seriously or pretending to have all the answers. She turned 70 on Sept. 17, and she still has a body that's ballerina graceful, eyes that reveal the truth (a poker player she is not) and a voice that seems to say, "I'm not gonna take any bullshit," even as "Why, thank you, Sweetheart" leaves her mouth."
(Salon, Sept 2001)


I have a lifelong love affair with Anne Bancroft. To me she is perfect. In 7th grade I insisted on doing the slap scene from the Turning Point for the school talent show. Needless to say it was underappreciated. I'm still trying to let go of that resentment - of an entire middle school and their parents. I should let it go... Anne would have had a cig and said the following:


"I was at a point where I was ready to say I am what I am because of what I am and if you like me I'm grateful, and if you don't, what am I going to do about it?"
-Anne Bancroft, age 26





















No comments: